Founded in 1867 by Jørgen Ring-Andersen, J. Ring-Andersen Skibsværft is one
of the oldest wooden shipyards in Denmark. Over many years the yard has built
almost 200 wooden ships, most of which are still sailing with grace today.
Ship names such as 'Lilla Dan', 'Helge', 'Activ', 'Seute Deern' and 'Carene
Star' are recognised by many and characterized as classical examples of good
shipbuilding. During the yard’s early years iron ships were built as well, but
in order to maintain the best wooden ship traditions, the yard gradually began
to concentrate solely on wooden shipbuilding and moved steal shipbuilding to a
new iron shipyard, also located on Frederiksø with part of the family as
The iron shipyard along with others was not able to keep up with world
competition. But J. Ring-Andersen Skibsværft has managed, due to the art of
using the good old virtues of both building and restoration work together with
committed customer care, in order to survive year after year. Adaptation to the
times in which one lives is the keyword to continuously being able to exist in a
world of constant change – as this yard’s continuous existence shows.